Monday, November 5, 2007

Jennika picks up her first HFH paint brush


Jennika volunteered during the last day of the JCWP, but she believes that it was an experience that she will never forget. It introduced her into the world of volunteering, and she got to understand why so many people love to volunteer! People love the feeling they get when they help others, and Jennika was no exception.

"I didn't really understand the full intensity of "habititus" before i volunteered for the JCWP. Its an indescribable feeling; a high that one gets from helping others. I wasn't sure that i was going to have a chance to volunteer because i was working as an intern for Starfish PR (who does PR for Habitat). But, when i found myself with some time, i decided to jump in and help because I didn't want to leave the site that day without at least picking up a paint brush. I worked up on the roof (of San Pedro house 6A), painting the front exterior siding; around me were big strong men. I was surprised how nice everyone was; they were all interested in getting to know me. Even though i only put in about 3 hours of volunteer time, that was long enough to catch "habititus." I will never forget my experience at JCWP 2007, and i look forward to volunteering in future projects!"

No comments: