Wednesday, October 31, 2007

“I wish I could say something clever, but I’m too tired!”



While walking by our friend and long-time volunteer, Cindy Hoag of Beach Cities Friends (pictured 3rd from left), she looked at us and said exhaustedly, “I’d rather be painting.”

Cindy is very active with Habitat of Greater L.A. and a familiar face on the build sites. Cindy and her friends started Beach Cities Friends in the South Bay area of Los Angeles as a way to raise money and awareness in the community. BCF began with simple get-togethers with friends and now boasts several annual events that raise tens of thousands. Since 2000 they have organized incredible fundraiser throughout the area and during this year’s JCWP they are proud to be sponsoring the homes the Torres and Suarez families.

Today Cindy is installing siding to a home, which she says can be very intimidating, adding that yesterday they had to redo a certain area 3 times. As proud as she is to have learned how to load and operate a nail gun, she says she’s most proud of the former BCF members who’ve gone on to become board members for Habitat GLA, including current board chairman David E. Lin and new board member John Smet.

“This is my first JCWP and I am meeting the neatest people from all over the world. I am working with some great guys from Georgia, who keep calling ma’am, which makes me feel kind of old, but they’re sweet. I can definitely have a second career as a painter, drywaller or sliding installer, that’s for sure!”

No comments: