Wednesday, October 31, 2007

L.A. City Councilwoman Janice Hahn shares personal story with Carter Family


Los Angeles City Councilwoman Janice Hahn has been instrumental in bringing the Jimmy Carter Work Project here. "When I heard that they were looking for a site for this year's JCWP, I wrote a letter reminding the Carters of their long history with the Hahn family, and how honored we would be to have them in Los Angeles," Hahn Said.

Hahn has spent the week building side by side with people from all over the world as well as with new members of her council district. She spent Monday building with new homeowner Cassandra Torres, and shared how she was inspired by all of the women she met that day. Hahn has been a Habitat for Humanity volunteer since 1983, and this is her first Jimmy Carter Work Project. When the JCWP came to Los Angeles the first time, her father held her council seat and he was there.

"My father was the LA county campaign chair when he [Carter] ran for office. My dad and he became good friends after he was elected. When he was running, my Dad showed him around Watts." Hahn Shared a very personal family story that brought tears to our eyes when we heard it.

"After they became friends, he invited my dad to come onto AirForceOne. It's every politicians dream to be fly on AirForceOne. He asked my dad, 'Why don't you fly with me from Kansas City to D.C.' and my dad looked at the date and it was my parents 31st wedding anniversary. My dad had his secretary call back and politely decline with the information that it was his anniversary. Jimmy Carter's office immediately called back and said 'Bring your wife.' And when they boarded AirForceOne President Carter gave my mom Roses."

"Tuesday Night we had dinner in San Pedro and sat at a table beside the Carters, and we went over to take a quick picture with them, and he said on one condition that I get to have a picture alone with your mother. And he said to my mom I want you to know how much your family has meant to ours throughout the years. It was really nice for him to say that to my mom, he is a wonderful man."

Hahn's amazing stories of the relationship her family has with the Carter's only makes her involvement with the JCWP 2007 more special for her. She is constantly telling everybody how grateful she is for their hard work, and her final note was, "This is not a burden or a chore, this is going to change your life!"

No comments: