Monday, November 5, 2007

Paige Hemmis Shares Her Personal Experience from JCWP 2007


What an amazing experience! This year I was fortunate enough to be the emcee of opening ceremonies for Habitat for Humanity’s Jimmy Carter Work Project 2007. What an honor and privilege to be on stage with such talented people! I would love to share with you my experience, and perhaps it is best told with the company that I kept on stage on that beautiful Sunday night.

First of all, I met our first guest of the evening, Grammy Award-winning artist and Habitat volunteer, Ricky Martin. I didn’t know much about this man, except for the fact that I new he could compose, sing, dance and perform. What I didn’t realize was that he was so passionate about his charities, and is such a good public speaker! I was blown away by the heart-felt sentiment he had for Habitat and this program. He talked about how giving was a form of love – and it really is.

Second, I met Mr. Steve Sidwell, and the Hollywood Film Chorale Special Effects Choir. Steve and his crew performed for the Academy Awards this past year, and they performed for all of us that night. This choir astounded me! They took footage of building and put their special effect sounds to it. What amazed me is how real it sounded! I was surrounded by true talent up there on stage, and they even made me participate towards the end. I now am an official “beat-boxer”, if that is such a term.

Each person who took the stage was just as amazing as the next! Erin Rank, the head of the Greater Los Angeles Affiliate, whom I’ve worked with several times in the past, amazes me every time I hear her speak. Here is a woman who has dedicated her life to helping others, and always finds time to go out of her way and be kind to everyone. She made sure that everyone who helped was properly thanked…but I believe that we should all be thanking her for all the incredible work she has done, and continues to do every single day.

Mr. Kevin Kessinger from Citi came to the stage to talk about the involvement of one of Habitat’s biggest sponsors. It is so touching to see that large companies like Citi have hearts as big as this! And he represented so many great men and women that have come together to help this great event.

Then I had the opportunity to introduce the President and CEO of Habitat International, Mr. Jonathan Reckford. He could possibly be the best representation of giving! What a kind a gentle man, with a tremendous responsibility. As I meet more and more people who are behind this great charity, it makes me realize that I am surrounded by truly great individuals who are using their God-given talents to help others.

And talk about being surrounded by great individuals! The people who make this city of Los Angeles what it is today are so inspiring and so incredible. First, there is the true “tuff chix”, Councillwoman Janice Hahn. She is one of my heroes – a true example of a strong woman who is so caring, so kind, and so capable of taking care of all of us! She was out working at the job site in her pink toolbelt, gloves and hard hat! She is so awesome. Then, there is the great man, Mayor Villairagosa. You can tell by his spirit and his touching words that he loves this great town, and will do everything he can to help its people.

The final honor of the night? Perhaps one of the great honors of my lifetime – being hugged by the great man, former US President and Nobel Peace Prize laureate, President Jimmy Carter, right there on stage! He has done so much in his lifetime. He is truly a man that we can all look up to and hope to emulate. I believe he is the best humanitarian of our time. And his wife Rosalynn right there beside him that night, as she has been for so many years. An honest example of true love, dedication, and devotion – plus she is such a great strong women in her own right!

For me, this night was a dream come true. To call it an “honor” does not do it justice! I was filled with honor and love, humbly sharing the stage with so many great people. I believe it was a blessing, and this blessing will leave a wonderful memory for the rest of my life.

No comments: